设为首页收藏本站--- 驰名中外的国际土木工程技术交流平台!

东南西北人

找回密码
 注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

总共8822条微博

动态微博

本站帖子精华之精华汇总 Best of the Best英语口语、听力、翻译、考试学习经验交流与探讨1000多土木工程类行业软件、计算表格和计算工具免费下载东南西北人网站QQ精英群 QQ189615688
中国土木工程师手册(上中下)东南西北人英文资料走马观花500多专业手册、工程手册100多个专业词典大汇总
如何获取积分和金币?精彩施工和土木工程技术视频东南西北人英汉对照资料汇总各版块精彩讨论贴汇总!
查看: 4575|回复: 39

PARK & PAULAY

[复制链接]
鲜花(60) 鸡蛋(0)
wangjianping 发表于 2008-4-17 16:22:49 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
本帖最后由 wangjianping 于 2009-2-15 00:33 编辑

INTERNATIONAL FAMOUS SCHOLARS R. PARK AND T. PAULAY

评分

参与人数 2威望 +7 金币 +35 收起 理由
zhucheng886 + 2 + 5 精辟至极
ljmtidilgw + 5 + 30 精辟至极

查看全部评分

鲜花(60) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| wangjianping 发表于 2008-4-17 16:24:26 | 显示全部楼层
It’s difficult to write objectively about two men who have been as influential on one’s
own career as Tom Paulay and Bob Park have been on mine. One’s own history tends to
get in the way of objectivity. It is also, I find, difficult to write a composite personal introduction
about two very different men. Bob Reitherman’s skilled interviewing of Tom and
Bob, presented in this volume of Comectioizs, has provided a detailed chronology of both
men’s private and professional lives, and there is little point in here providing a redundant
chronology. Instead, I would like to concentrate on my personal view of these two
great earthquake engineers, which has been developed over the last forty-two yearsalmost
my entire student and professional life.
My first contact was with Tom-I was one of his “victims” as he calls his students-in
my second professional year (third year of university studies). This was in 1962, Tom’s
second year teaching a t Canterbury. It took us students half of the year to cope with his
accent. Readers will learn that he promised to teach “in Hungarian, but with a strong
New Zealand accent”-still the only foreign language in which I claim to be fluent.
鲜花(60) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| wangjianping 发表于 2008-4-17 16:26:52 | 显示全部楼层
Tom captivated the whole class of sixty-odd students with his contagious energy and
enthusiasm. Although it was only his second year teaching at Canterbury, Tom’s theatrical
slulls were already well developed. Tom is a big man, and as those who know him
will attest, is even bigger than life. He is also rather deaf, and has been since a Second
World War injury. He used this in teaching-not as a disability, but as a theatrical
prop, an excuse to propel himself around the classroom in response to some poor student’s
question on the pretense that he couldn’t hear it. He would stride up the tiered
lecture room to the vicinity of the student, bend his ear towards the student, and
demand a repetition. The rest of the class loved it rather more than the “victim,” who
might be persuaded against unnecessary interruptions in the future.
The energy Tom displayed in these lectures kept us in thrall. In this oral history he
claims to have been rather precise in his lecturing times. What he is not telling you is
that this was the formal, morning lectures he is tallung about. On Tuesday and Thursday
afternoons, there were the three-hour design classes, during which additional “top
up’’ lectures were occasionally given (i.e., twice a week). On more than one occasion I
xix
鲜花(60) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| wangjianping 发表于 2008-4-17 16:27:50 | 显示全部楼层
recall (with sworn and notarized support from others in our class) that these continued for the full
three-hour duration of the design class. No one without his energy and charisma could have gotten
away with this. U7e learned a huge amount in these classes. In particular, we learned to revere equilibrium,
a trait that I find difficult to instill in current students.
My introduction to Bob came four years later, in 1966. This was the final year of my doctoral studies,
and as I had been without an advisor for eighteen months, Bob Park took over. Technically, I
was Bob’s first graduate student at Canterbury, but since it was only for a few months of the writingup
stage, this honour really belongs to David Hopkins. Bob provided quiet encouragement, and
attempted to impose some of his natural sense of order on a rather unfocused dissertation.
For ten years after my doctorate, I saw Bob, and especially Torn, only infrequently-at conferences,
and the occasional technical study group. However, the impact they were having on seismic design
in New Zealand was very apparent. I had a research position with the Ministry of Works (iMoW)
that allowed me access to decision-makers in the MOW in a way I might not have had as a design
engineer. In particular, I had a lot of contact with Otto Glogau, Chief Structural Design Engineer,
and Hans Huizing, Chief Bridge Design Engineer. Both were brilliant men, and Otto, in particular,
was one of the four men I feel were almost equally central to the key developments in New Zealand
earthquake engineering that occurred in the 1970s: Bob and Tom of course, Otto Glogau, and John
Hollings. John Hollings was a partner of Beca Carter Hollings and Ferner, a large consulting firm,
and the originator of the concept of capacity design, which was later extended and refined by Tbm
and Bob. During this period of time I also had considerable contact with John Hollings, as I nioonlighted
for his firm as a proof engineer on a number of their major structural designs. It was
through Otto and John that I was at least partially aware of the exciting developments going on in
New Zealand seismic design.
It was Bob who persuaded me to apply for a faculty position a t Canterbury. The bureaucracy in the
MoW was pushing me towards a more administrative position, for which I was singularly ill
equipped, and I was contemplating joining John Hollings’s firm full time. While attending the
annual conference of the New Zealand National Society for Earthquake Engineering at UTairekei,
in the centre of the North Island, Bob and I found ourselves in the same golf foursome during a free
afternoon. The other two players were competent golfers, which Bob and I most definitely were
not. We spent most of the time hacking our way up the rough together while the other two manxx
鲜花(60) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| wangjianping 发表于 2008-4-17 16:28:33 | 显示全部楼层
aged to stick to the fiaimays. Interspersed with numerous profanities, occasioned by our golfing
incompetence, we discussed my future plans, and Boh informed me of a faculty position that was
open a t Canterbun, and encouraged me to apply. Up to that point I had not given an academic
career a moment’s thought.
I spent the next ten years at Canterbury, working closely with both Torn and Rob. My position was
in structural design, and my main responsibility was taking a little of the load of design classes off
Tom. At the same time, I took some of the concrete structural analysis lectures from Bob. My
research a t this time was more closely aligned with Bob’s interests, and we co-supervised a number
of graduates, mainly in the field of seismic response of bridges and confinement of concrete. ‘There
was also a considerable amount of professional committee and code development work that
involved all three of us.
During my ten years a t Canterbury, I began to really appreciate the strengths and differences of the
two men. Bob was extremely efficient a t everything he did, which is what made him the superb
administrator that he became in the latter half of his career. His orderly mind was apparent in his
committee work, his organization of research, and in his lecture notes-which I used following
Bob’s pancreatic attack in 1977, when I had to take over his lectures. This attack was extremely
severe, and Bob lost the first of his nine lives a t this stage. After a lengthy time in hospital, Bob was
instructed by the doctors that due to the damage to his pancreas, he should never touch alcohol
again. I think his resolve on this issue lasted about two weeks.
Being an efficient administrator also requires a love of intrigue and power, which Bob certainly had.
He also loved the research side of his career, and grew somewhat frustrated in his last years a t Canterbury
that he was not able to indulge in research activities to the extent he would have liked. He
loved committees, and was always better prepared, and hence more effective, than anyone else a t
committee meetings.
Tom, on the other hand, did not enjoy administration, and tended to avoid it. His work for conimittees
has been prodigious, but my sense is that he has always preferred to participate as a corresponding
member, and has shared my frustration with the need for compromise-essential in
developing committee consensus documents. Bob treated this as a challenge, and enjoyed the small
victories. ‘Tom’s view of right and wrong (structurally and personally) has made him less suited to
this process. Both men, however, loved the social aspects of meetings-particularly technical conxxi
鲜花(60) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| wangjianping 发表于 2008-4-17 16:29:21 | 显示全部楼层
ferences-and were never happier than in an informal group of peers with a glass of wine in hand.
Bob loved the gossip, and 7i)m l o i d thc stories and jokes, of which he has an endless supply, many
of which are of dubious moral provenance. Contacts with the top international experts in earthquake
engineering have always been a matter of extreme pleasure for them both.
Their close contacts with the engineering profession in New Zealand had a great deal to do with
the quick acceptance of their ideas on earthquake engineering. In the 1970s, Bob had particularly
close contact with the iMoW, while Toni’s contacts tended to be more with the consulting profession.
Consultants were always approaching him for advice on difficult “real life” problems, for
which he rarely accepted payment (perhaps the occasional case of wine). This close contact also
worked the other way, in that practitioners were well aware of the real problems that designers
(either governmental or private) were facing in applying the new concepts of ductility and capacity
design. Later, as the MOW faded in t e r m of national importance, and as Bob moved more into
research in precast concrete, his contacts were more consultant-oriented, and helped make precast
concrete the dominant structural material for buildings in New Zealand.
There is no doubt that the publication by Wiley and Sons publishers in 1975 of Bob and Tom’s ReiFzf
i n e d Concrete Stlur~wesw, hich put forward a simple, elegant, and comprehensive seismic design philosophy
for concrete buildings, had a huge impact not only on New Zealand’s design fraternity, but
internationally. I doubt if any design-oriented book has had such an impact on international seismic
design, and this influence is still developing. Largely as a consequence of “The Book” international
contacts were forged with a large number of countries-initially U.S.A., Japan, and Canada, and then
the countries of Central and South America and Europe. These contacts were based on personal relationships
developed between Tom and Rob and key researchers in these countries, which both men
found to be some of the most important and enjoyable parts of their professional lives.
The influence of Bob and Torn during this period of my career cannot be overstated, though I
regretfully have to admit that none of Bob’s efficiency and organizational skills rubbed off on me. I
worked with each of them on a number of papers and reports, though a little surprisingly, I only
recall one paper (on beam-column joints) that was co-authored by the three of us. Bob and I started
writing a text on prestressed concrete structures that unfortunately was never completed due to
Bob’s excessive workload.
xxii
鲜花(60) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| wangjianping 发表于 2008-4-17 16:30:07 | 显示全部楼层
With Toni, 1 gradually developed the confidence to hold lengthy discussions on aspects of seismic
design philosophy. There is a pure, sharp pleasure in discussing new ideas at the edge of one’s
knowledge with a quick, superior, and receptive mind. In time, our familiarity with each other’s
viewpoints enabled these discussions to be carried out in a kind of verbal shorthand, which was, and
still is, exhilarating. These discussions shaped the direction of my research for the remainder of my
academic career.
Before I left for the University of California a t San Diego in 1986, Tom and I had started preliminary
discussions about a design text to act as an extension to Reiilforced Cone-ete Stmctiwes, which
had been published in 1975, just before I returned to Canterbury to join the faculty. We worked on
this for the next five years. Because of the physical separation between Canterbury and San Diego,
it was essential, particularly in the final stages, to get together and resolve minor differences. I recall
in particular a two-week period in 1990 when Tom and Herta stayed with Jan and me in the southern
California Sierras as we knocked the book into shape, as the most enjoyable, and intellectually
profitable technical experience of my life. My responsibility was largely to translate Tom’s Hungarian/
Germanic sentence structure into English, but I learned a huge amount from the contact with
Tom a t this time-not just technically, but also about intellectual rigour in presentation of material.
Tom, Bob, and myself are separated in age by almost exact multiples of ten years (e.g., 80, 70, 60)
give or take a few months, and we developed a habit of celebrating our cumulative age (e.g., 204)
when possible, by a dinner with our wives. The exact date on which this should occur was debated
on technical terms-should it be a simple arithmetic mean of the dates, or should they be weighted
by the individual age? I’m not clear that this weighty problem was ever resolved, despite the assistance
of many a glass of wine.
By 1999, I was spending more time back in New Zealand, and was there when Bob had his stroke
and heart attack, which cost him several more of his nine lives. He was not expected to survive, but
not only did he do so, he managed to resume both his technical and international committee work,
despite constraints imposed by partial paralysis of his left side, and advice by doctors and his wife
against international travel. This activity continued until his untimely death in 2004.
Tom has also continued to be active technically, and some of his finest work has been published in
the past five years: simple, elegant, and of great significance. It is the sort of work that makes one
think, “That’s so obvious, why did no one see that before?!” To produce such work a t any stage of
鲜花(60) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| wangjianping 发表于 2008-4-17 16:30:45 | 显示全部楼层
one’s career is noteworthy, but to do so when pushing eighty years is exceptional. But then, everyone
knows that that is exactly what Tom is.
Tom has for years been part of an “elderly gentlemen’s walking club” which, on fine Wednesday mornings,
gathers and spends a few hours walking some track in or near Christchurch, followed by a pint
or so and a pie at a local watering hole. Bob informally joined the group on November 3,2004. During
the walk he suffered a fatal heart attack. Tom was with him when he died on the track. Bob’s death
is a great loss to the national (New Zealand) and international earthquake engineering community.
Tom continues to live in Christchurch, and still provides technical discussions of papers published
in the key international earthquake engineering journals with a fearsome clarity of intellect. Long
may he do so!
M. J. Nigel Priestley
April 2005
xxiv
鲜花(60) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| wangjianping 发表于 2008-4-17 16:44:19 | 显示全部楼层
1/9,2/9

Park_Paulay.part01.rar

1.91 MB, 下载次数: 83, 下载积分: 金币 -2 金币

Park_Paulay.part02.rar

1.91 MB, 下载次数: 76, 下载积分: 金币 -2 金币

鲜花(60) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| wangjianping 发表于 2008-4-17 16:47:53 | 显示全部楼层
3/9,4/9

Park_Paulay.part03.rar

1.91 MB, 下载次数: 82, 下载积分: 金币 -2 金币

Park_Paulay.part04.rar

1.91 MB, 下载次数: 67, 下载积分: 金币 -2 金币

鲜花(60) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| wangjianping 发表于 2008-4-17 16:50:23 | 显示全部楼层
5/9,6/9

Park_Paulay.part05.rar

1.91 MB, 下载次数: 54, 下载积分: 金币 -2 金币

Park_Paulay.part06.rar

1.91 MB, 下载次数: 50, 下载积分: 金币 -2 金币

鲜花(60) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| wangjianping 发表于 2008-4-17 16:53:17 | 显示全部楼层
7/9,8/9,9/9

Park_Paulay.part07.rar

1.91 MB, 下载次数: 47, 下载积分: 金币 -2 金币

Park_Paulay.part08.rar

1.91 MB, 下载次数: 48, 下载积分: 金币 -2 金币

Park_Paulay.part09.rar

24.18 KB, 下载次数: 39, 下载积分: 金币 -2 金币

鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
joy2000 发表于 2008-7-23 10:16:45 | 显示全部楼层
3ks for sharing
鲜花(280) 鸡蛋(4)
ljmtidilgw 发表于 2008-7-23 21:23:27 | 显示全部楼层
搜了半天也没有搜到他们的照片
鲜花(60) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| wangjianping 发表于 2008-7-23 21:53:45 | 显示全部楼层

reply to ljmtidilgw

park and paulays photographs are included in the document
鲜花(280) 鸡蛋(4)
ljmtidilgw 发表于 2008-7-23 22:13:12 | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 wangjianping 于 2008-7-23 21:53 发表
park and paulays photographs are included in the document

太感谢了!
1.JPG
鲜花(280) 鸡蛋(4)
ljmtidilgw 发表于 2008-7-23 22:13:55 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(280) 鸡蛋(4)
ljmtidilgw 发表于 2008-7-23 22:15:31 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(57) 鸡蛋(0)
fulinsg 发表于 2008-7-23 22:32:06 | 显示全部楼层
THANK YOU FOR THE BEST BOOK!
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
yygeotech 发表于 2008-8-31 11:48:28 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
kmustzb 发表于 2008-9-2 20:23:13 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢楼主!并希望论坛越办越好!成就越来越多的名人!
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
zhucheng886 发表于 2008-9-3 08:33:54 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢楼主分享!!!
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
lfylll 发表于 2009-2-4 21:21:37 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢!
鲜花(5) 鸡蛋(0)
zcm_2004 发表于 2009-2-14 17:48:11 | 显示全部楼层
THX for your sharing!
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
wzy790601 发表于 2009-2-16 17:05:37 | 显示全部楼层
绝对大师,他们写的几本书都是经典中的经典,谁有英文的给分享下吧?谢谢!
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
wzy790601 发表于 2009-2-25 12:39:27 | 显示全部楼层
mei you a?
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
navoleon 发表于 2010-1-4 20:32:22 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
prokwan 发表于 2010-3-28 02:27:56 | 显示全部楼层
The best scholars on concrete structures in New Zealand
鲜花(1) 鸡蛋(0)
xiaoxia860619 发表于 2010-4-20 08:55:34 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢提供!
顶.jpg
鲜花(2) 鸡蛋(0)
victor_zeror2 发表于 2011-11-8 14:13:33 | 显示全部楼层
景仰!
鲜花(1) 鸡蛋(0)
qian0024 发表于 2012-6-12 10:36:33 | 显示全部楼层
牛人啊。是我导师的导师!
鲜花(3) 鸡蛋(0)
kevinlau1976 发表于 2012-8-11 13:49:13 | 显示全部楼层
thanks
鲜花(3) 鸡蛋(0)
kevinlau1976 发表于 2012-8-11 13:51:21 | 显示全部楼层
good work
鲜花(3) 鸡蛋(0)
kevinlau1976 发表于 2012-8-11 13:58:35 | 显示全部楼层
download
鲜花(12) 鸡蛋(0)
eagleto 发表于 2012-8-11 17:28:47 | 显示全部楼层
好书,作者很牛的,顶
鲜花(12) 鸡蛋(0)
eagleto 发表于 2012-8-11 17:40:11 | 显示全部楼层
居然是2006年的书,够新的,一开始还以为是9几年的书呢
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
惠严公剑 发表于 2013-11-6 19:52:45 | 显示全部楼层
没有问题,坚决支持

橡塑胶密度检测仪
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
xyzxyz 发表于 2017-8-19 14:05:01 | 显示全部楼层
牛牛牛牛  
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
bczs 发表于 2017-8-21 19:32:37 | 显示全部楼层
非常好的资料!好好学习一下
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

QQ|关于我们|QQ即时充值|站点统计|手机版|小黑屋|百宝箱|留言|咨询|微信订阅|QQ189615688|东南西北人

GMT+8, 2024-3-19 12:06 , Processed in 0.183303 second(s), 76 queries .